Friday, February 26, 2010

first trip home

I have to write and report about mine and Shannon's first trip home. Yesterday I relaxed for some of the day and then went out with my friend Lori. Shannon did wonderful for the most part accept for one thing which I will try to describe to the best of my ability. We went to this one place and as me and Shannon were making our way inside the door there was this brick thing that was in the shape of an L. with the long part of the L. up in the air with nothing under it. The part that was up in the air was about five feet tall. To top it all off not sure if this made a difference or not but the stupid fancy thing was black and it was dark. Shannon all most cleared me but not all the way and I go crash into the thing. Don't worry I was not hurt at all, I don't have a hard head for no reason now. I corrected her and we reworked it and she got it right. On the way out I worked with her again and she did pretty good. I worked with her until we got it right. I didn't run into the stupid thing again but all most. I'm just glad I was not using a cane because my cane would have went right under that thing for sure. From what I was told there was more than one its some kind of art. Some kind of unsafe art I might add. This kind of thing really goes to show that guide dogs are not perfect and make mistakes too. I'm not exactly sure how wide the opening was between these things and the door, but when me and Shannon were working on her missing the unsafe obstacle it seemed like there was not much room between them. Lori was behind my right sholder the entire time and watched Shannon work me around those things. After that adventure we made a wal-mart run where Shannon did wonderful work. Lori was so wonderful letting Shannon work and observing from behind. She was giving me dirrections so I could direct Shannon where to go. Lori is so wonderful I told her last night she would be a great guide dog instructor. She is very patient and if you have to rework something five times to get it right it doesn't bother her at all. So many people don't understand how important it is to rework an error most people will say will you hurry up and come on. Guide dogs sometimes don't compensate enough and when that happens its very important to correct the dog and do it until the dog gets its right. I can't wait to work Shannon in the city, me and Lori are going this weekend to work with Shannon on the bus stop and around where I work. We may even go downtown and do some work there. In the wal-mart parking lot last night we had a good traffic check someone pulling out of there parking space. Shannon and Muffin my retired guide dog absolutely love each other. They are both here beside my chair side by side, wish I had a camera. Not sure what I am going to do today, but I will keep updating as I can, stay tuned. Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Now that column sounds crazy and I wonder if someone sighted has run into it as well. I would hate having to wkr that and it sounded like Shannon worked it as well as she could especially since a dog's line of sight is about three feet high, so it is obvious that she is not perfect but still sounds like she is doing a great job and I am sure over time she will even get better. I hope you and Lori will have a good trip this weekend working downtown on the route that you normally take for work and it will be good for the two of you to work it out before you get right back into the swing of things.
    I think I am ordering pasta tonight instead of pizza. I ahve dragged bottom all day long and know that it has to be the Coumiden and my mom told me that my dad had a hard time getting used to it as well when he went on it about 10 years ago, so that made me feel better too.

    ReplyDelete