Wednesday, February 3, 2010

afternoon trip

The morning trip was canceled because of snow. I think N. J> got a few inches. It was pretty relaxing this morning which was just fine with me. Me and my instructor did some obedience work and Shannon did wonderful. We worked on come, heal, sit, down, and instead of the stay command Seeing Eye uses rest. The come is different as well from what I am used to. At Southeastern when you give the come command the dog comes and sits in front of you. At Seeing Eye the dog comes around to your left side and sits. It is taking some getting used to, but I know I will be fine. I don't usually write aboue food but today we had Mackaroni and Cheese my favorite, and it was wonderful. I have not consumed the junk food that I consumed yesterday for sure. Today we did the same trip as yesterday, the only difference was that I did doubles which means me and another student did the trip at the same time. I would lead for one block and cross the street, and the student I was doing doubles with would lead the next block and cross the street. It was great, and allowed me to really trust Shannon. She did wonderful work and I couldn't have been happier. We also experience what is known as a traffic check. This is when a car pulls out in front either out of a drive way in the middle of a block, or out in front in the middle of a street crossing. Shannon noticed the car and suddenly stopped from what I was told about four feet away. I was really proud of her for that! We had about an hour meeting this morning discussing traffic checks and street crossings. When there is a traffic check the dog is suposed to either stop or back up. The dog is rarely ever in a posision where they have to back up, but it can happen. The snow has all most all melted, we encountered some today while walking, and Shannon was focused on working but from what I was told by the look on her face she wanted to play in the snow. She always seems happy while working, but when we were walking across the snow her ears were back. She is a very happy playful girl who always wants to please. Tonight we start working our dogs in the building to meals. We were all taught in the class how to use a tool known as the gental leader. It works when a dog is pulling to hard, and has other uses I am sure, but I don't like the thing and will be glad when I don't have to use it anymore. Shannon is not a fan either. I have talked to my family and Muffin is doing great which makes me happy. I know she will be happy to see me when I get home. I don't think there are any other meetings tonight. There is dinner of course and that's pretty much it, I'm going to take advantage of relaxing for sure. I will update more once I have time. That's pretty much all for now.

1 comment:

  1. From everything I have ever seen, I would not like the gentle leader too. It sounds like you had a great walk and it sounds like she handles traffic well. I have not had to encounter the traffic checks now like I have had to in years past, but have seen Major really shine with them especially one day in the BB&T parking lot, it really blew me away.
    I am happy that Muffin is doing well and it sounds like she is just loving life and I have a strong feeling that she and Shannon are going to be friends too.

    ReplyDelete