Monday, February 1, 2010

New Guide Dog is finally here

I posted on facebook that I was going to keep everyone in suspense on what dog I got and I am going to do the same here ha ha ha. I had to wait and so do you ha ha ha. I am mean I know, but you will find out soon enough. I went to Southeastern Guide Dog in Florida for my first dog and there are some differences in methods I guess you can call it. Here the leash goes around your wrist and then in between your thumb and index finger. This way the dog can not get away. At Southeastern the leash just went between your two fingers. Muffin got away from me one or two times so that makes since. A heal is when the dog walks right next to your left leg not pulling out in front. When the dog is under a chair/table for example the leash is put under your foot and then under your leg. This keeps the dog from moving very far away. I will tell you that I all ready have my dog, and we have went on our first walk together. There is a nature path which is a very relaxing easy walk. My instructor kept on telling me how good me and my dog looked together. Another instructor who was observing all of the students told me that he didn't know who was smiling more me or the dog. The first trip was great, and I am really starting to love this dog. After lunch and the time I got my dog seemed like a really long time. My instructor was also my dogs trainer, so you can only imagine the excitement when my instructor comes any where near. It will get better over time I am sure, its the first day so you can't expect much. I have no idea what tomorrow holds, but I am sure I will be pretty busy. I won't keep you in suspense much longer I promise. One more meeting at seven and I have the rest of the night to myself. I'm kind of tired, didn't sleep much last night, and its starting to catch up with me now. I didn't have much energy this morning at all, thank goodness for diet coke! Sometimes I don't know what I would do with out it, and today was one of those days. I'm off for now, will post soon!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you called me and for those seeing my comment, I know and am not going to spoil the surprise. I am so happy things are going so well and I tried healing Major with the leash over my wrist and it is definitely different.

    ReplyDelete