Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Muffin

Meeting and training with my first guide dog is an experience I will always remember.
I was somewhat nervous going to a place I had never been before, not knowing anyone, and flying on a plane for the first time. I arrived at Southeastern Guide Dogs campus on June Third 2002 not knowing at all what to expect. I knew I was going to get a dog, with know idea of what dog I would get. I remember the first night talking to one of the trainers and asking about the dogs that were ready to be matched in this class. Each class there are about thirty dogs that are fully trained for guide work and ready to be matched to perspective handlers like myself. Those dogs that do not get matched get pushed back to the next class. I remember the trainer telling me some of the dog’s names, and the name Muffin interested me. I asked about Muffin, and after what he told me I remember saying that I would love to have Muffin.
The next day was full of excitement and it seemed like the wait would never end. Finally around three in the afternoon we were able to meet our dogs. The funny thing was that I was matched with Muffin. When she came to me she was extremely excited, but when we got back to my room and after about five minutes she wanted a tummy rub. The only thing I knew about her at that time was she was a yellow lab golden retriever female. The 26-day training was not easy. There were times when training was very stressful, and I learned then that guide dogs are not perfect. I knew that everything was going to be all right though on the last day. Every morning and every afternoon the class did what is called obedience exercises with the dogs. Giving commands such as sit, down, stay, come. Each day things got more difficult having the dog listen to your commands while the trainers were doing everything possible to try and distract the dogs. Muffin all most always got distracted by balls and especially food. This particular day the instructor wanted each person in the class to have there dog sit, stay, and drop the leash and after a few minutes call there dog to come. It was my turn, and I knew Muffin was going to go for what ever it was to distract her. I gave her the commands and walked away. The instructor came around her with balls, food, and who knows what else. I told her to come and she ran straight to me ignoring everything around her.
A few months later I started my first semester at Wingate University. During the time I was in college Muffin sure was wonderful. If I wanted to go somewhere and no one wanted to go with me, I just went. It felt so wonderful to be independent and not have to wait on some one else. During class she sure knew when fifty minutes was up. Muffin sometimes got class let out early because she wanted to leave so bad. She was the only one who could ever sleep in my English classes, and when she got bored she sure let the instructors know. She was always a wonderful icebreaker for me to start conversations with other people. The first person I met during orientation week my freshman year started talking to me, and I remember one of the first things she saying to me is wow that dog is focused. We still keep in contact even now. Students on campus knew Muffin’s name and not mine. In 2007 we walked across the stage together during my college graduation, and Muffin had her own cap and gown.
About a year later when I got my first job Muffin was with me. She was with me when I landed my second job in February of this year. She did wonderful learning things, I could show her something once and she picked up on what ever I was teaching her.
Around June of last year Muffin started showing signs of not wanting to work anymore. About two years prior Muffin started becoming afraid of thunderstorms. It was not a big deal until one night we got caught out in a storm, and all she was focused on was getting to the car as fast as she could. This was a safety concern, and so I contacted Southeastern Guide Dogs for some advice from a trainer. I was given some suggestions, and was told that Muffin had a good two years left to work. One day last June a storm came up while I was waiting on the bus. Muffin got really nervous and tried to pull me onto every bus that stopped. Not too long after that she started becoming afraid of the traffic. She would try to pull me into parking lots to get away from the cars instead of staying on the sidewalk. One day I missed my stop while riding the bus, and got put off a few blocks down, there was allot of traffic and Muffin totally refused to work. I knew then something was not right, so I contacted Southeastern because I knew I was going to have to retire her pretty soon. She has worked some since then, but only when I had to work her. Today was her last day at work as a guide dog, and she really knew. This afternoon I put the harness on for the last time, and as we were walking to the bus stop I told her it was her last time. She truly has been a wonderful guide dog for the past eight years, and I will never forget the wonderful things we experienced together. We went so many places, rode on buses, trains, planes. You name it we probably did it, for the past eight years Muffin has been by my side through it all. I sometimes have said she is the extension of my left arm. I am sure my next dog that I will meet in a few days will be just as wonderful, but nothing can or will take the place of Muffin. She will be able to live the high life now, and I know she can’t wait. Retiring Muffin has not been easy, but knowing she does not want to work anymore has made it so much easier.

4 comments:

  1. Muffin was such a sweet dog! She always knew when I had treats for her! I have always loved watching you two work together so perfectly. I know she will enjoy her new retire life being spoiled. Muffin and Alexander had very similar personalities, of course it helped them being half-siblings, and time I looked at Muffin I could see a little bit of Alex , I think it was the ears! Give Muffin a big hug and a treat from us and you have a safe trip and we can’t wait to hear about your new dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that it is going to be really hard getting on the plane without her Saturday morning, but look at the new adventure you are embarking on and it will be as good but different than when you went to get Muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muffin was a great dog, I sure do remember when you graduated, Muffin looked totally cute in that hat/gown!

    Toby's Raiser

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope,
    I always smile when I think of you and Muffy! I will never forget the time we played in the snow with the tennis ball. You even let me babysit her while you went on a field trip to the courthouse (she jumped up into my bed in my apartment!!!)
    I am glad to see that you girls are doing well. I know that you are excited about Shannon! Can't wait to hear more about your new adventure!
    Give Muffy a hug for me when you get home,
    Beth Ann

    ReplyDelete